Gnucash data files location

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Jan 27 09:47:06 EST 2008

Leslie Katz <lesliek at ozemail.com.au> writes:
> I am still happily using Gnucash version 1.8.11. My understanding at the
> time that the version after that came out was that one would now be
> forced to use double-entry bookkeeping and I didn't find that necessary
> for the purposes for which I was using Gnucash (just tracking bank
> accounts and shares).

You mis-understood.  GnuCash has always strongly enforced the use of
double-entry accounting, though through various UI features, the "pain" is
minimized.  GnuCash 2.0 (and 2.2) are largely equivalent to 1.8 in form and
function, except 2.0 uses more recent and better-supported versions of the
GTK and GNOME libraries.  As well, there are numerous serious bug fixes.
You're strongly encouraged to upgrade.

> A query's recently arisen in my mind about the location of my Gnucash
> data files. I'd like to move them from their current location in my home
> directory to a different drive. I looked through the various menus and
> at the documentation that came with Gnucash, but couldn't spot anything
> about how to specify the location of one's data files.
>
> If anyone's prepared to answer a question about so ancient a version of
> Gnucash, I'd be very grateful to be told how to specify an alternative
> location for my data files.

Think of your GnuCash datafile just like a word-processor or spreadsheet
document.  It's just a datafile that you can File > Open... and File > Save
As...   The current path and name of the file is in the title bar of the app
while running.  You could also move the file (while gnucash is closed), but
because of the maintenance of some meta-data, I recommend doing File > Save
As... to establish the new location.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}