Gnucash access to internet when starting up

Richard Ullger rullger at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 28 16:17:32 EST 2008

Hi,

I've installed the latest version of Wireshark. I am running Win XP with
all updates (apart from IE7) and gnucash 2.2.3 on a centrino laptop. I
tried the test using both the wireless adapter and the wired lan connection.

I ensured that as many programs as possible that generate network
traffic were shut down. Zonealarm is configured to ask for permission to
allow gnucash to access both the trusted zone and the internet.

I started gnucash and Zonealarm advised me that gnucash-bin.exe was
trying to access the trusted zone, which I allowed. Zonealarm then
advised that gnucash-bin.exe was trying to access the internet, which I
also allowed. At no time was there any network activity displayed in
Wireshark. It made no difference if Zonealarm was configured to allow
gnucash access to the internet.

Opening the price editor and clicking on get quotes produced the
expected network traffic (after allowing access in Zonalarm) as did
starting up my email client (which was already granted access in Zonealarm).

Not knowing how Zonealarm controls network access I can't comment on
what is happening.

Regards

Richard.