How to handle fixed term accounts?

Andy Den Tandt adtlist_qsd at adtsoft.eu
Mon Jan 28 17:20:38 EST 2008

Hi all,

What do you suggest for handling multiple fixed term investments belonging
to a multiple banks?

Suppose e.g. I have an investment starting 1 Feb for 1000 EUR for 3 months.
On 1 May I'll receive my 1000EUR back + interest.  But I have multiple of
these investments spread over multiple banks (e.g. 2000 EUR starting 1 March
for 1 month; 3000 EUR starting 1 Feb for 6 months; .)

I could create separate accounts for each bank and have separate subaccounts
for each investment. That will easily keep them separate so I can keep track
of the different end-dates. But after a while I'll have more empty/dead
accounts than active ones.

Alternatively I could handle it as one huge savings account per bank (just
throw everything together in one account) and lose track of the individual
parts.

Neither solution looks appealing. I'm hoping that you have better
suggestions?

PS. I've also looked at lots, but as these are (for the moment) still FIFO,
they are not up to the job (yet).

PPS. And ideally, I'd love to generate reports with cashflow forecasts.

Andy