invoice:payments not 1:1 advice?

Ian Smith-Heisters i at idiosyncra.tc
Wed Jul 2 11:47:49 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have this customer that requests weekly invoices, pays in 1
bi-weekly check, and that check will usually not include all items
from both invoices during the concerned timeframe, and will include
items from invoices from past timeframes. Ugh. In illustration, things
tend to look like this:

invoice: $1000
invoice: $500
payment: $1200
invoice: $1000
invoice: $1000
payment: $2100

What's a good way to handle this in GnuCash? I just discovered the
split transaction feature, which seems suitable, but I can't figure
out how to associate each split with a different invoice. Also, the
Accounts Receivable page doesn't show what invoice each payment is
associated with, even though when you look up invoices it shows a
"paid" checkbox, which does seem to be aware of some correlation
between payments and invoices. Is there some way to get a breakdown of
how payments are being associated to invoices?

Thanks much,
Ian