Asset Disappeared

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 2 06:09:25 EDT 2008

Matt McCormick wrote:
> Ok, I've isolated the problem more.
>
> It seems to be happening because I have the same stock held in two
> different brokerage accounts.  If I delete the transaction when I
> purchased it in the second account, the Balance Sheet and Net Worth
> returns to normal.  When I put it back in, the same problem occurs.
>
> Any suggestion for how to get around this?
>
> I would prefer to record transactions in the account they occured but,
> worst case, I could just put the stocks under the same account and make a
> note of it.

I used to have problems with the same stocks in different accounts.
I have GnuCash accounts for each brokerage account I have. And things just
would not work for me that way.

What I did was re-name the stock tickers. So ticker BRK.B was called BRK.Bi
in IRA, BRK.Br in Roth IRA, and BRK.B in my margin account. Now automatic
price updates would not work except in my Margin account, but I do not use
automatic price updates, so it is not a problem for me. Actually, I did this
in an older version of GnuCash, so maybe it is fixed in the present one.
where I have been very lax in keeping the stock-market entries up to date.

 ^^-^^ 06:00:01 up 6 days, 15:20, 4 users, load average: 2.13, 2.16, 2.09