invoice:payments not 1:1 advice?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 3 01:39:52 EDT 2008

Quoting Ian Smith-Heisters <i at idiosyncra.tc>:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Karl Grant <karlgrant06 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You'll probably get more advanced advice than mine but ...
>>
>> The way most businesses work is by treating each customer as an account.
>
> So would you create a receivables account for each customer?

No.  GnuCash keeps track of it for you using a single A/R account.
But when you Process Payment, you're processing the payment
for a CUSTOMER, not for an INVOICE.

>> When you invoice them the balance in their account is decreased and the
>> opposite when they pay. GNUcash uses whatever money paid to clear the oldest
>> invoice first. Taxation is also based on when the money comes in, rather
>> than which invoice it was for.
>
> That's weird, because it was just telling me invoices 1 and 4 for this
> particular customer were cleared; so it doesn't *seem* to be
> chronological. And the "process payment" function asks for a specific
> invoice, then automatically splits the payment based on the amount of
> the selected invoice.

It is chronological.  It's a chronological FIFO.  HOWEVER, if you
specify a particular invoice in the process payment dialog (which
is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL), then that invoice gets pushed to the
start of the FIFO.

> Thanks for the advice,
> Ian

-derek