syncing two pcs

Ronal B Morse rbmorse at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 09:21:00 EDT 2008

2008/7/7 Paul <pdoxey at verizon.net>:
> Does anyone know if/how gnucash can be run on two pcs and sync them
> together?  I have duplicated both pc's file structures for the
> application but only one actually contains data.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

I have, after some experimentation, resigned myself to designating one
machine as the Gnucash machine and leaving it at that.

One thing did work pretty well, though, and that was storing  Gnucash's
data file(s) on a flash memory device and moving that from machine to
machine. Mine was a 2Gb SanDisk Cruiser I carried on a keyring so it was
always with me, and the 2Gb unit had more than enough storage.

It would have been a good idea to encrypt the data on the flash device,
although I never got around to sorting that out. Another useful thing
would have been a little script that backed up the device automatically
every time it was connected to the computer.

The experiment ended when one or more of the Border Collie puppies
decided the Cruiser looked like food.  I had backups -- but decided I
need to find a more robust solution.

My experience is that Gnucash is remarkably agnostic about where data
lives...if the machine can see the file, Gnucash can use it.

Ron Morse