gnucash-user Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11

Paul pdoxey at verizon.net
Tue Jul 8 00:36:20 EDT 2008

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 19:26:51 -0500
From: Paul <pdoxey at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: syncing two pcs
To: David Brown <gnucash at davidb.org>
Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org

David Brown wrote:

> > I do this regularly, using 'unison'
> > <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/>.  I don't ever try merging
> > anything.
> >
> > If you're just adding transactions, the merges are probably easiest by
> > not
> > merging the data file, and just replaying the extra log file.
> >
> > But, if you have a central sync point, and are diligent about always
> > syncing before and after running Gnucash on the remote machines, it works
> > quite well.  It's how I work on my laptop.
> >
> > David

Hi David,

Unison sounds interesting.  I currently use Logmein which enables me to
connect to my desktop from anywhere.  It also has a file synch tool.  I
think my mistake was not synching the files in program files/gnucash.
I'll try that tonight and see if my problem is solved.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi David,

I was able to successfully synch the two pcs after some experimentation.    The first time I tried it with all gnucash related folders, my data was wiped out apparently because I had re-installed it on the desktop after I had created my first sets of savings and checking accounts on the laptop; the dates were probably newer on the desktop.  I suppose had I saved the file on the laptop after creating them on the desktop this could have been avoided, assuming that the date stamps would be update on save and close.  I suppose I should do a synch whenever I connect the PCs together to insure the latest copy is the active one before opening gnucash or entering new data.

Thanks,
Paul