syncing two pcs

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Wed Jul 9 00:08:30 EDT 2008

On July 6, 2008 09:37:45 pm Paul wrote:
> Does anyone know if/how gnucash can be run on two pcs and sync them
> together?  I have duplicated both pc's file structures for the
> application but only one actually contains data.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

I see the thread has gone off into dealing with two or more users running
gnucash simultaneously, and that's fraught with complications and danger.

If on the other hand, all you need to do is use gnucash at different times on
different computers that's quite doable.

For example, I use gnucash at work on the work desktop. Later, I want to be
able to see the same data at home, so I use rsync to copy the file to my
laptop when I'm in the office, then take the laptop home, where I also use
rsync to copy the file to backup storage and my wife's computer. Now all
three computers see exactly the same data.

Of course you always need to remember to update the other systems from the
computer you ran gnucash on last if you make any changes.

--
Robert Smits Ladysmith BC
bob at rsmits.ca