Is it possible to manually enter a scheduled transaction whenever I want?

timzak tzakharov at charter.net
Wed Jul 9 10:57:26 EDT 2008

Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:04 AM, timzak <tzakharov at charter.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering if it's possible, in the Scheduled Transactions tab, to
>> click
>> on a particular transaction and have it entered into the register without
>> going into the scheduled transaction details and fiddling with the date
>> it's
>> been set to go into the register.
>>
>> For example, each week I want all future scheduled transactions to enter
>> up
>> to the next pay period.  Because of how payments fall on different days
>> of
>> the week, there is no easy way to set this up automatically so it works
>> right every week.  I end up having to go into the scheduled transactions
>> and
>> fiddle with the "Enter into register X days ahead of time" variable.  I
>> would like to ability to, say, right-click on a scheduled transaction and
>> have an option to "Enter into register NOW".  Is there a way to set up
>> Gnucash to do this?
>
> I'm away from my gnucash system this week so please forgive me if I
> mix up the terminology...
>
> What I have been doing is using the "remind" field -- if I have a bill
> payment due on the first whose bill usually comes on the 16th, then I
> set the reminder about 15 days in advance, so when the SX "since last
> run" dialog comes up, I can click on the word (maybe it says
> "reminder"?) next to each transaction I want to enter, and choose to
> schedule it, then I use the checkbox for reviewing scheduled
> transactions to see them all at once.
>
> Again, I apologize that I don't know the exact terminology, but one
> thing that isn't readily apparent on (some versions of?) the "since
> last run" dialog is that the word to the right of the scheduled
> transaction is a pop-up button that lets you choose to schedule,
> postpone, ignore, etc., each transaction.
>
> I hope this does what you are looking for.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried your suggestion, but could not figure out how
to make it apply to what I am looking for.  I'm not sure if I didn't
understand your explanation, or if I didn't explain myself well enough.
I'll try again in case it is the latter:

I have a paycheck every Friday.  What I like to do on Friday is to input my
check, then input all future scheduled transactions up to and including the
following Thursday.  This gives me an accurate total of how much money is
really available in my checking account until the next paycheck comes in.

Currently, I schedule my transactions to go into the register X days early,
using a best guess that would get them into the register right around
Friday.  However, because my scheduled transactions occur on specific dates,
not on specific days, they don't always enter the register on Friday.  What
I have to do each week is go into SX and manually adjust each transaction
for the upcoming week.  Then since Gnucash doesn't apply these changes until
I restart the program, I must save, exit, and restart Gnucash.  Instead of
doing this, I would like to simply click on a SX and have an option to
"place into register right now."  This would simplify the process.

If you understood me correctly the first time, my apologies for
re-explaining.  Can you then help to apply your method to accomplish my
goal?

If anyone else has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!