New User opening balance question

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Jul 10 05:37:40 EDT 2008

Carren Stuart wrote:

>Hi :-)
>
>I'm a new user and set up my accounts yesterday. At the time I didn't
>enter an opening balance, thinking I could go back and do that later,
>but I can't see any way of doing that without entering the opening
>balance as a deposit - which would be incorrect.
>
>Is there a way I can do this or will I have to delete the accounts and
>start over? (I'm talking about bank accounts here).
>
>Regards
>
>Carren

Transactions are associated with a DATE. You can enter them in any "real
time" order.

In this situation (where you forgot to "open the books") simply create
the opening transaction(s)  using some effective date before the date of
your first entry. For example, if your earliest transactions were for
July 8, 2008 make the date of the opening transaction July 7, 2008.
GnuCash will sort by date order.

Michael