Multiple currency issues -- clean up

Jannick Asmus jannick.news at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:53:28 EDT 2008

On 08.07.2008 15:00, Jannick Asmus wrote:
> The issues listed below appear with multiple currency transactions. A
> sample file is attached with the following example:
>
> Cash (USD): 78 USD
> Other Income: 49,62 EUR (w.r.t. some FXR)
> EUR is the main currency.
>

> 1. The transaction is shown in the currency of the opened account, i.e.
> when "Cash (USD)" is opened, then the transaction is shown completely in
> USD (here: 78 units). When, in contrast, the transaction is shown in the
> general ledger, the transaction is not shown in the main currency (here:
> EUR).
>
> Q1: Is is possible to let GnuCash show the currency of the opened
> account (e.g. by choosing an option)?

Yes, in the summary bar. No option needed.

> Q2: Is there a special the reason why the currency in the general ledger
> view is not the main currency?

Might be a difficult one and perhaps not really needed.

> 2. Income statement
>
> The income statement in USD shows a total revenue of 0, expected is 78,
> whereas the P&L in EUR is ok.
>
> Q3: Is this because GnuCash expects a foreign exchange rate in the
> database to convert USD into EUR?

Seems to be like that. Exchange rates into EVERY currency can be
retrieved with the price editor after once switching the local currency
to the target currency needed in Preferences > Accounts.

After that the FXRs in any direction should be retrieved. Check in the
price editor.

> 3. Balance sheet report
>
> The balance sheet report in USD shows a total of assets of 78USD and a
> total of liabs and equity of 0. In particular retained earnings (as part
> of equity) are 0.
>
> Q4: Is this a bug? I would expect retained earnings to be the balancing
> item here.

No, no bug. Lacking FXR. See answer to Q3 to resolve.

I thank Charles and Mike for their input on that. Much appreciated.

Best wishes,
J.