Multiple currency issues

Jannick Asmus jannick.news at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 06:04:49 EDT 2008

On 09.07.2008 06:08, Mike Alexander wrote:
> --On July 8, 2008 3:00:47 PM +0200 Jannick Asmus
> <jannick.news at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Q2: Is there a special the reason why the currency in the general
>> ledger view is not the main currency?
>
> If trading accounts are enabled each split in the general ledger is
> shown in the currency of the account associated with that split.  Of
> course in this case the single transaction in the file is not balanced,
> but that is easily fixed with Check and Repair.

I will wait for the release 2.2.6 upcoming shortly in July. I hope the
patch will be included since I am a real newbie to the patch an d
compiling stuff. :-(

>> 2. Income statement
>>
>> The income statement in USD shows a total revenue of 0, expected is
>> 78, whereas the P&L in EUR is ok.
>>
>> Q3: Is this because GnuCash expects a foreign exchange rate in the
>> database to convert USD into EUR?
>
> I don't see this, with or without trading accounts.

Perhaps this depends on some language settings?

I checked that with GnuCash normally started on my German machine and with

set LANGUAGE=en_US
set LANG=en_US

in the .bat-file. I think even this did not change the main default
currency (EUR in my case).

>> 3. Balance sheet report
>>
>> The balance sheet report in USD shows a total of assets of 78USD and
>> a total of liabs and equity of 0. In particular retained earnings (as
>> part of equity) are 0.
>>
>> Q4: Is this a bug? I would expect retained earnings to be the
>> balancing item here.
>
> I don't see this either.

... language settings?

Best wishes,