Diffrent dates

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 16 07:13:49 EDT 2008

Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

>Is it possible to give an entry diffrent entries? When buying
>something on my credit card I can end up with three diffrent
>transaction dates :
>
>Date 1 : The date I payed for something
>Date 2 : The date the bank received notice about the payment
>Date 3: The date the bank transferred money from my account
>
>Now two of my banks sort the transactions based on diffrent dates
>from 2 and 3 and me like to sort on the first date. Any idea on how
>to best handle this in Gnucash?

Similar to preceding -- have to know bookkeeping
These represent two very different issues
A) The date difference between "1" and "2" is just about notification.
YOU know that the correct date at which you assumed the LIABILITY is the
first date. So use that one. The second date is just the date upon which
the bank learned that you owed them money.
B) The third date is the one upon which you made a partial or complete
payment against that liability. That's a separate transaction. You
presumably have just ONE of thsoe a month no matter how many credit card
transactions during the month. Not related to what you bought or when.

Michael

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.