Diffrent dates

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 08:27:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Fredrik Eriksson
<fredrik.eriksson at snowmen.se> wrote:
> Is it possible to give an entry diffrent entries? When buying
> something on my credit card I can end up with three diffrent
> transaction dates :
>
> Date 1 : The date I payed for something
> Date 2 : The date the bank received notice about the payment
> Date 3: The date the bank transferred money from my account
>
> Now two of my banks sort the transactions based on diffrent dates
> from 2 and 3 and me like to sort on the first date. Any idea on how
> to best handle this in Gnucash?

For my own records, I pick the one that makes the most sense when I'm
searching for them, usually the date I paid. I also file the receipts
by that date, too.

When I'm reconciling the statement, the transactions will be arranged
by the date the bank received the notice of the payment, but that
isn't usually a huge problem. My statements include the other dates,
too, if there's any question, but almost every time I'm looking at the
approximate date and the transaction account, which is usually
sufficient to identify the transaction in the reconcile dialog.