Diffrent dates

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:20:29 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Fredrik Eriksson
<fredrik.eriksson at snowmen.se> wrote:
> Is it possible to give an entry diffrent entries? When buying
> something on my credit card I can end up with three diffrent
> transaction dates :
>
> Date 1 : The date I payed for something
> Date 2 : The date the bank received notice about the payment
> Date 3: The date the bank transferred money from my account
>
> Now two of my banks sort the transactions based on diffrent dates
> from 2 and 3 and me like to sort on the first date. Any idea on how
> to best handle this in Gnucash?

It depend on what you want to "handle" ie, what use you have
for the "other" information.

If all you really want to do is to have the extra date (ie not the
purchase date) info in there so that you can sort things and
make the entries look like your bank's statement for ease of
reconciling, you could try entering the bank's date in the ISO
format YYYYMMDD + an NN where NN allows you to have
more than one transaction on a single YYYYMMDD, into the
Num field in the ledger.

25/10/2008  2008102501  Grocery Store
26/10/2008  2008102602  Petrol

and when you get the statement change the Num field to
match the bank's dates, for example

25/10/2008  2008102903  Grocery Store
26/10/2008  2008102804  Petrol

You can then use the Menu-View-Sort by  option to change from
the usual by-Date sort. and sort on the Num field so it looks like
this in the bank account's ledger.

26/10/2008  2008102804  Petrol
25/10/2008  2008102903  Grocery Store

Obviously you could also record your date in the Num field
and alter the transaction date to match the banks when you get
the statement.

Bit of a pfaff for sure, it might be what you want.