if you use fink to install gnucash

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 11:38:21 EDT 2008

As one of those eager types, I have jumped in to try this update. Here's where I stand so far (note that I continue to cycle through the selfupdate|update process in the hopes that the various dependencies will ultimately get loaded and the update will complete):

1) I am asked to identify several virtual dependencies: ghostscript, octave, gnuplot. I didn't have this in the most recent fink update. Accepting the defaults and proceeding with installation has gotten me down from 282 packages to 85, but...

2) There seems to be a problem with ghostscript. One time through the cycle, fink craps out with an inconsistent dependencies error, and tells me to "fink scanpackages|sudo apt-get update|sudo apt-get install ghostscript=8.61-5". When I do this, fink changes the virtual dependency questions. I embed them here:

-----------------------------------
fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The candidates:

(1)     tetex-base: Base programs for a teTeX installation
(2)     ptex-base: ASCII publishing TeX
(3)     ptex-nox-base: ASCII publishing TeX
(4)     tetex-nox-base: Base programs for a teTeX installation

Pick one: [3]

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The candidates:

(1)     ghostscript-nox: Interpreter for PostScript and PDF
(2)     ghostscript6-nox: Intrp. for PostScript/PDF, v6.01, no X11 support

Pick one: [1]

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The candidates:

(1)     tetex-base: Base programs for a teTeX installation
(2)     tetex-nox-base: Base programs for a teTeX installation
(3)     ptex-base: ASCII publishing TeX
(4)     ptex-nox-base: ASCII publishing TeX

Pick one: [4]

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The candidates:

(1)     octave-atlas: Matlab-like language for computations
(2)     octave: Matlab-like language for computations

Pick one: [1]

fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual dependency. The candidates:

(1)     gnuplot: Command-driven interactive plotting program
(2)     gnuplot-nox: Command-driven interactive plotting program

Pick one: [1]

I'll note that ptex/tetex comes up twice, and ghostscript-nox comes up (even though I just installed ghostscript=8.61-5). During the install, it looks like ghostscript gets uninstalled in favor of ghostscript-nox, and then fink craps out with a circular dependencies error.

Cheers,
David