Editing invoice scm files

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 21 06:59:17 EDT 2008

Hello All;

I'm somewhat a novice to the syntax/code behind the scenes in gnucash,
though i can be a fast learner! Been reading up online (forums, wiki,
FAQ's etc) but no leads for my particular query.

Trying to remove today's date from the printed invoice/report - that
shows top right, underneath business contact details. i'm happy to just
have 'invoice date' and 'due date' in top left of report.

tried editing both easy-invoice.scm (the report format i use) and
invoice.scm . Found for previous edits (e.g. changing 'tax' subtotal
label to 'GST' - thanks to advice online for that one!) that despite
using easy-invoice, the change didn't happen until i edited the
invoice.scm file. figure the easy-invoice.scm must just get a lot of its
info from the invoice.scm file, and just lay it out different?
Anyway, tried 'commenting' various sections (semicolon ; ) to 'remove'
them from the commands, to figure out what did what. had lots of
attempts, mostly nothing happened, then occasionally i'd just get an
error message back and no report at all! so obviously, not getting the
correct approach. also though of 'null field' (putting "" somewhere) but
again, not sure where to start.

any quick answers? or, if the best way to explain it is to start me on
learning what the code means, any suggested places to start (online, or
"... for dummies" ?)
if i figure this much out, might also try removing some of the columns i
don't want..
also, if any of this is of use to others once i figure it out, should i
email or post it somewhere?