Editing invoice scm files

Andrew Greig algreig at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 21 07:27:31 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 20:59 +1000, Shane Litherland wrote:
> Hello All;
>
> I'm somewhat a novice to the syntax/code behind the scenes in gnucash,
> though i can be a fast learner! Been reading up online (forums, wiki,
> FAQ's etc) but no leads for my particular query.
>
> Trying to remove today's date from the printed invoice/report - that
> shows top right, underneath business contact details. i'm happy to just
> have 'invoice date' and 'due date' in top left of report.
>
> tried editing both easy-invoice.scm (the report format i use) and
> invoice.scm . Found for previous edits (e.g. changing 'tax' subtotal
> label to 'GST' - thanks to advice online for that one!) that despite
> using easy-invoice, the change didn't happen until i edited the
> invoice.scm file. figure the easy-invoice.scm must just get a lot of its
> info from the invoice.scm file, and just lay it out different?
> Anyway, tried 'commenting' various sections (semicolon ; ) to 'remove'
> them from the commands, to figure out what did what. had lots of
> attempts, mostly nothing happened, then occasionally i'd just get an
> error message back and no report at all! so obviously, not getting the
> correct approach. also though of 'null field' (putting "" somewhere) but
> again, not sure where to start.
>
> any quick answers? or, if the best way to explain it is to start me on
> learning what the code means, any suggested places to start (online, or
> "... for dummies" ?)
> if i figure this much out, might also try removing some of the columns i
> don't want..
> also, if any of this is of use to others once i figure it out, should i
> email or post it somewhere?

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your interest in this area.  Australia needs to have the
words "Tax Invoice" instead of just "Invoice" and the idea of changing
Tax Subtotal to GST is a good one.  We also need to be able to set the
Customer Name and address details in a suitable place on an A4 Invoice,
for viewing through a DL window faced envelope.

Australia Post have specifications on their website for all envelopes.

I have  a 1.8Mb pdf on scheme, which I can send you if you have the
bandwidth.  I may have more time soon to try and figure out how to use
this. Anything you can do for the Aussie users will be well received, so
by all means post your results to the list.

Cheers
Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia