Disappearing Data

JUNIPER snijuniper at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 12:34:33 EDT 2008

   Thank you. As it turns out, I was trying to make something complex out
   of something very simple. I did not understand that the .xac file was a
   simple data backup file and that all I had to do was to open it from
   within GC then "save as" with the file name and location of my choice.
   That file then automatically became the default opening file.
   Steve J
   Derek Atkins wrote:

Hi,

JUNIPER [1]<snijuniper at comcast.net> writes:

What do you mean, "Copy over the most recent .xac backup file." The
most recent one is only 4 days old. Can I just change the extension
and open it? Copy it to where? I have a "Finance" folder that has all
of the GC files, and I also back the main one (which I call "finance
all") up to a flash card.

Copy it anywhere...  It doesn't really matter.  Effectively you should
"rename" the file to something else without the timestamp and .xac,
but I just didn't want to say "rename" because you really should keep
that one in place.  Something like:

  cp foo.20080713142372.xac foo2

Then you can:

  File -> Open    [foo2]

Sorry to be such a dullard here - although I've been using GC for
years, I have had no significant problems with it and, hence, no
opportunity to learn how to deal with them!

No worries.  This is just File Management 101.

Steve J