Disappearing Data

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 15 12:42:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

JUNIPER <snijuniper at comcast.net> writes:

> What do you mean, "Copy over the most recent .xac backup file." The
> most recent one is only 4 days old. Can I just change the extension
> and open it? Copy it to where? I have a "Finance" folder that has all
> of the GC files, and I also back the main one (which I call "finance
> all") up to a flash card.

Copy it anywhere...  It doesn't really matter.  Effectively you should
"rename" the file to something else without the timestamp and .xac,
but I just didn't want to say "rename" because you really should keep
that one in place.  Something like:

  cp foo.20080713142372.xac foo2

Then you can:

  File -> Open    [foo2]

> Sorry to be such a dullard here - although I've been using GC for
> years, I have had no significant problems with it and, hence, no
> opportunity to learn how to deal with them!

No worries.  This is just File Management 101.