several clients one payment

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Wed Jul 23 20:06:03 EDT 2008

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 07:02:02PM -0300, Laboratorio Verónica Gómez wrote:
>
>> I guess this isn't a frequent situation, but is there any way to match
>> one single check payment against several invoices from more than one
>> client at a time?
>> I've configured different clients with separate invoices because they
>> have different billing terms, but they usually pay through an
>> 'intermediate' client  with just one check for all of them. The FIFO
>> order for paying several invoices is not useful for me because the
>> differences in billing terms (some invoices are paid sooner than
>> others). Any help?
>>

> you could use an intermediate account to collect payments from the
> different clients and then make one transfer from the intermediate
> account to your checking account.
>
> you would have to record each client's payment individually into that
> intermediate account, but then the transfer from the intermediate
> account to your checking account could be one transaction. It would
> then better match the bank statement.

Though your particular situation might be a little different from most,
this is essentially the same issue as depositing cheques pertaining to
several different invoices.  Andrew is right: set up a separate account,
and use the Business -> Customer -> Process Payment feature to show that
the invoice is paid, crediting the intermediate account.  If you have
more than one 'intermediate' client you might need to set up a separate
account for each.  You may also need another account to deal with bank
deposits, for situations in which you have more than one cheque to
deposit (this is a frequent situation for me).  In that way your bank
deposit would be a single amount, as Andrew notes, and thus easier to
reconcile with the bank statement.  It may seem a bit of a kludge, but
in practice should work easily enough.

HTH

Cam

--