Fedora and computing in general.

Rich Talley rbtalley at unm.edu
Mon Jul 28 20:36:31 EDT 2008

John, I understand your frustration.

However, you have made a fundamental error in thinking that there are
any "user friendly" operating systems. There are not.

The most you can hope for, given your particular hardware,
circumstances and needs, is to have the least "user hostile"
experience possible.

Windows, pre-installed, and with well-coded software can sometimes be
somewhat "user friendly" - until some anti-virus program mistakes a
vital file for a virus and brings your system to a halt. Or an system
update from Microsoft itself breaks something. Or a virus starts
throwing up dozens or browser windows faster than you can close them.
Or some program that you really need to run, doesn't and instead puts
up an incomprehensible error message. Or something else.

Linux tends to be much more stable and easier to maintain in that
condition than any version of Windows. But it isn't always easy.

Keep in mind that operating systems are *very* complex beasts and that
computer programming is a very young discipline. People have been
making bridges for thousands of years, yet they still collapse
sometimes. Any non-trivial program is much more complex than any
bridge ever made. Don't expect any computer to be a simple to use
appliance like a toaster. But that's how they are sold.

You should take a deep breath, go do something else, and come back to
your computer problems when you aren't so angry. And don't expect more
than the state of the art can deliver.

-- Rich