GNUCASH IN ENGLISH

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Jul 30 11:22:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 03:57:39PM +0200, Davide Imbeni wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> I have sort of the opposite problem (my PC's locale is US, but I want
> accounting to be done in Italian).
> If you're using linux, it is enough to change the environment variable LANG.
>
> I use the following (so as not to have the italian locale on my xterm ever
> after):
>
> ssh -X localhost 'export LANG="it_IT"; /usr/local/bin/gnucash'
>
> You can probably use something like
>
> ssh -X localhost 'export LANG="en_US"; /usr/local/bin/gnucash'

This works for a lot of other programs, too -- just about anything for
which internationalization (often abbreviated i18n) has been done.
Usually, though, particular messages that haven't been translated show
up in whatever language the original coder wrote them.

And it's not really necessary to do the ssh -X.  It you are in the
right kind of shell, it suffices to issue a command like

  export ENV=en_US

and your locale will be en_US thereafter.

O f course you can also put htis in your .bashrc if you want, or if you
want it just ofr one invocation of gnucash,

  ENV=en_US; gnucash

-- hendrik