wiki was: Register Column Widths

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 10:30:33 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_
>>>_Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>>>

>> This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N one has
>> yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.
>
> I'm not sure why this underlines a problem.  I added the FAQ entry
> after I received the mail which is why they didn't find the answer
> ahead of time.  I've answered this question so many times that it
> deserved to be a FAQ, so I created it.

I do not know what concern Elizabeth Dodd was thinking of, but it
WOULD be very nice to be able to point directly to FAQ entries using
shorter URLs. Even the shortest of the current FAQ URLs cannot survive
a text-only email message without being chopped up. Maybe a macro
could provide a set of alternate links based on the FAQ entry number
and/or a terse keyword.

There is probably a way to do it automatically (Mediawiki has all
sorts of ways to add such features) but of course it would be a major
change and would need to manage existing links. I don't know how many
"outside" pages point to the FAQs, but Mediawiki has tools to manage
internal linkage.

I'm just guessing, but this might be the sort of major change that was
being suggested.