wiki was: Register Column Widths

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jun 5 19:27:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> > This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N
> > one has yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.
> > I admit that I can write documentation if the facts are provided (and I
> > don't write code)
> > and like the rest of Gnucash users with my skills, I'm keeping them
> > hidden like a light under a bushell.
> > Any volunteers with time to start a wiki edit to supplement those FAQs
> > with a version which uses the benefits of the wiki system to navigate
> > them?
>
> Hi -- I've installed mediawiki for a couple of web sites but have not
> (yet?) become adept in the subtleties of it. (Nor do I have much spare
> time at the moment, but that doesn't mean I won't find this challenge
> more interesting than my current work.)  :-)
>
> Can you describe what "benefits of the wiki system" you are thinking
> of, or point to a place that has the enhancements you are hoping to
> see in the GnuCash FAQ?
>
> Alternatively you could create a scratch page under your name in the
> wiki to experiment and/or show the FAQ page formatting you're thinking
> of. Once the differences become clear it might require a
> search/replace to the page source.

What I am considering is that the FAQs is long and hard to find the required
information in it.
Then the format is not inviting for anyone to add details.

so what I am thinking of is
main page

three or four pages  under that
install
running
QIF import
moving from other programs
(no particular order, that's the beauty of wiki)

then pages or paragraphs under that as needed

Derek says he just added the information to the FAQs at the last minute, but
it shouldn't be Derek's work - once a question is answered on the mailing
list then a couple of volunteers could be editing the wiki, as could anyone
else with more to add.

Feel free to look at this section of the osm wiki.
It contains the wisdom of the Au mailing list
in a way which is somewhat ordered.
It repeats information form elsewhere in the wiki and sometimes links back to
older pages.
This is the sort of reordering of the information in the Gnucash FAQs page
that I am imagining.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tips_especially_for_Aussies