Payable Aging Report Totals column produces error

Gene genestairs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 02:11:42 EDT 2008

Charles Day wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Gene <genestairs at gmail.com
> <mailto:genestairs at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Charles Day wrote:
>
>         On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Charles Day
>         <cedayiv at gmail.com <mailto:cedayiv at gmail.com>
>         <mailto:cedayiv at gmail.com <mailto:cedayiv at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>            On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Derek Atkins
>         <warlord at mit.edu <mailto:warlord at mit.edu>
>            <mailto:warlord at mit.edu <mailto:warlord at mit.edu>>> wrote:
>
>                Hi,
>
>                Gene <genestairs at gmail.com
>         <mailto:genestairs at gmail.com> <mailto:genestairs at gmail.com
>         <mailto:genestairs at gmail.com>>> writes:
>
>                > Well, I installed the desktop full version of 2.25 and
>                received the
>                > same error.
>                > This did generate a gnucash.trace file, and here's
>         the contents,
>                > however I have no idea what it means....
>                >
>                > *   WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 2441 bytes.
>                > The identifiers might not be very random.
>                > *   WARN <gnc.app-util> Could not spawn perl: Failed to
>                execute child
>                > process (No such file or directory)
>                > *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068:
>         OpenClipboard failed:
>                > Invalid window handle.
>                > *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068:
>         OpenClipboard failed:
>                > Invalid window handle.
>
>                Unfortunately it means absolutely nothing.
>
>                If the report actually had an ERROR it should have
>         printed it out
>                to the trace file...   Or the console.  But there is no
>         console
>                on win32 so anything printed _there_ gets lost.
>

>            The error is probably happening in the report's Scheme code. If
>            you could see console output, there would be a nice set of
>            debugging messages that would really help.
>
>            I wonder if the result would be any different if you launched
>            GnuCash from a DOS-style command prompt, rather than from
>         an icon.
>
>            Derek, when I get a second I'll see if I can figure out a
>         way to
>            get Scheme backtraces directed to gnucash.trace instead of
>         (or in
>            addition to) the console. That sure would help sometimes.
>

>         Committed as r17209 with backport requested.
>
>         Gene, if you want to try out this patch, it should get the
>         Scheme debugging output into the trace file where you can see it.
>
>         -Charles
>
>     Can you give me quick directions how to apply this?
>     Do I need to cut and paste into a file, and then run?
>

> l've applied the patch. Just backup your existing copy of main.scm,
> then replace it with the version attached. Then restart GnuCash, try
> to produce the error again, and check the trace file.

Thanks for the help so far...

I attempted to run the report again and got in the trace file:
*   WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 2368 bytes.
The identifiers might not be very random.
*   WARN <gnc.app-util> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute child
process (No such file or directory)
*   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
window handle.
*   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
window handle.
*   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
window handle.
This doesn't appear to be much different from before I replaced the
main.scm file.  The only location I found this file in was: c:\program
files\gnucash\share\gnucash\guile-modules\gnucash

However, I also got the following windows error dialog box when I tried
to click on the totals column:
GLib-CRITICAL (recursed)**:g_str_has_suffix:assertion`str!=NULL'
failed
aborting...