How do I backup GnuCash?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 15 00:29:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

Quoting cashound <jljpnp at gmail.com>:

> Hi, I am new to GnuCash.  I am using Windows Vista.
> How do I backup my GnuCash registers/data to a data file?
> And what extension do I use?
> And how do I restore a backup data file?
> Please help.
> Thank you for your assistance.
> cashound

Think of your GnuCash data file in the same way you would think
of a Word .doc file, except that GnuCash doesn't enforce any
particular file name extension.  You can name the file whatever
you want, as far as GnuCash is concerned.  But you can backup that
data file in the same way you would backup a Word file.

You can find the name of the file in the GnuCash title bar.

To "restore" the file you just need to File -> Open the file
in the "new" location.

You should read the documentation on automatic backups and log files,
which are made every time you make changes or save the file.