two transactions per payment

Michael Barkowski michael at abriskwok.net
Wed Jun 25 10:47:09 EDT 2008

My wife Jackie regularly downloads two files named cibc.ofx and cibcvisa.ofx
from CIBC (Canadian Bank of Commerce), from the checking account and the
VISA account respectively.  She is using gnucash (1.8.x) under Fink on Mac
OS X Panther 10.3.

The program is, to a certain extent, remembering which accounts different
transactions are associated with, for example the electricity bill.

Double-entry accounting is great and we understand it.

However, there's one thing it doesn't deal with very conveniently.  The OFX
files of the two accounts have no relation to each other, but we need
GnuCash to relate them when we transfer between the two accounts.

When a payment is made transferring money from Checking to Visa, each OFX
file has it's own entry, and gnucash makes a transaction for each of these.
So in the end we have two transfers from Checking to Visa recorded, and the
accounts are wrong by the amount of the payment.

Is there any way we can coax GnuCash to handle this better?

Thanks and best regards,

--
Michael
http://www.abriskwok.net