two transactions per payment

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Wed Jun 25 13:35:06 EDT 2008

Michael Barkowski wrote:
> My wife Jackie regularly downloads two files named cibc.ofx and cibcvisa.ofx
> from CIBC (Canadian Bank of Commerce), from the checking account and the
> VISA account respectively.  She is using gnucash (1.8.x) under Fink on Mac
> OS X Panther 10.3.
>
> The program is, to a certain extent, remembering which accounts different
> transactions are associated with, for example the electricity bill.
>
> Double-entry accounting is great and we understand it.
>
> However, there's one thing it doesn't deal with very conveniently.  The OFX
> files of the two accounts have no relation to each other, but we need
> GnuCash to relate them when we transfer between the two accounts.
>
> When a payment is made transferring money from Checking to Visa, each OFX
> file has it's own entry, and gnucash makes a transaction for each of these.
> So in the end we have two transfers from Checking to Visa recorded, and the
> accounts are wrong by the amount of the payment.
>
> Is there any way we can coax GnuCash to handle this better?
>
> Thanks and best regards,

I have a similar situation with my Vancity accounts. I have found the
way to deal with this is to not reconcile the payment in the chequing
account on the first pass, but to run the import again after I have
imported the Visa account information.

The import will see only the transaction you bypassed and you will then
be able to match it to the Visa transaction.

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Office:     604-628-5434
Cell:       604-866-2848
Email:      des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.