Fink Binary on OS X 10.5

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Fri Jun 27 17:36:24 EDT 2008

David Reiser wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Des Dougan wrote:
>
>> Dave Reiser wrote:

>>> You do need to do 'fink selfupdate' after enabling unstable to get
>>> the package descriptions for the unstable tree. And in Fink
>>> Commander, you may have to ask it to reindex to get the new
>>> descriptions to show up there. I think FC's menu command is just
>>> Index, and it might be on a submenu.
>>> Dave
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Thanks again. I decided to retry via Terminal, but still don't get
>> anywhere:
>>
>> macbook:~ des$ fink selfupdate
>> Password:
>>
>> The file "CURRENT-FINK-10.5" already exists.
>>
>> (1)    Delete it and download again
>> (2)    Assume it is a partial download and try to continue
>> (3)    Don't download, use existing file
>>
>> How do you want to proceed? [1]
>> curl --connect-timeout 30 -f -L -A 'fink/0.27.13' -O
>> http://www.finkproject.org/CURRENT-FINK-10.5
>>  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
>> Current
>>                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
>> Speed
>>  0    11    0    11    0     0     30      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
>> --:--:--     0
>>
>> You already have the package descriptions from the latest Fink point
>> release. (installed:0.9.0 available:10.5-0.9.0)
>
> I think this is the sticking issue -- 'point release' means you're stuck
> on the original binary distribution only.
>
> Try 'fink selfupdate-rsync' and see if that unsticks it. After a
> successful selfupdate-rsync, you should only have to use selfupdate.

> Dave
> --
> David Reiser
> dbreiser at earthlink.net

Dave,

macbook:~ des$ fink selfupdate-rsync
Password:

  Please note: the command 'fink selfupdate' should be used for routine
updating; you only need to use 'fink selfupdate-cvs' or 'fink
selfupdate-rsync' if you are changing your update method.

Failed: Sorry, fink doesn't support rsync updating in the 10.5
distribution at present.

Should I try building Fink from source instead?

Regards,

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Office:     604-628-5434
Cell:       604-866-2848
Email:      des at DouganConsulting dot com

         www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.