Fink Binary on OS X 10.5

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 27 22:37:59 EDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 5:28 PM, David Reiser wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Des Dougan wrote:
>
>> Dave Reiser wrote:

>>> You do need to do 'fink selfupdate' after enabling unstable to get
>>> the package descriptions for the unstable tree. And in Fink
>>> Commander, you may have to ask it to reindex to get the new
>>> descriptions to show up there. I think FC's menu command is just
>>> Index, and it might be on a submenu.
>>> Dave
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Thanks again. I decided to retry via Terminal, but still don't get
>> anywhere:
>>
>> macbook:~ des$ fink selfupdate
>> Password:
>>
>> The file "CURRENT-FINK-10.5" already exists.
>>
>> (1)	Delete it and download again
>> (2)	Assume it is a partial download and try to continue
>> (3)	Don't download, use existing file
>>
>> How do you want to proceed? [1]
>> curl --connect-timeout 30 -f -L -A 'fink/0.27.13' -O http://www.finkproject.org/CURRENT-FINK-10.5
>> % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
>> Time  Current
>>                                Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
>> Left  Speed
>> 0    11    0    11    0     0     30      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
>> --:--:--     0
>>
>> You already have the package descriptions from the latest Fink point
>> release. (installed:0.9.0 available:10.5-0.9.0)
>
> I think this is the sticking issue -- 'point release' means you're
> stuck on the original binary distribution only.
>
> Try 'fink selfupdate-rsync' and see if that unsticks it. After a
> successful selfupdate-rsync, you should only have to use selfupdate.

oops. There's a bug in the installer. To get off point releases at the
moment you have to:

fink selfupdate-cvs

At this point you should finally have access to the source trees. It's
a good idea to go ahead and run

fink selfupdate-rsync

right away to switch update methods back to rsync. cvs can be a real
pain and is only recommended for fink packagers/developers and folks
behind firewalls that don't allow rsync port traffic.

Anyone reading this more than a couple days from now should be able to
use the standard instructions for getting off point releases:

run the installer, then run the path setup command:
/sw/bin/pathsetup.sh
(may not be necessary, but shouldn't hurt)
and finally clean up and tell it to pay attention to the source lists:
fink scanpackages; fink update-all; fink selfupdate-rsync

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net