Problem creating a "Currency" account.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jun 28 10:59:59 EDT 2008

Mike Alexander wrote:
>> I need to look at Mike Alexander's patch.  I wonder if we need a
>> "trading" account type that is neither equity nor income as a special
>> account type to handle this.
>
> One of the things my patch does is to allow any commodity in an income
> account (if the option to use commodity accounts is on).  It seems to
> me that this is really the wrong way to do it and that these accounts
> should be a new account type.  However I haven't made the changes to
> implement a new account type for them yet.

I think Charles made a strong argument that these accounts should be
income after all. If we use commodity accounts like Commodity:USD and
Commodity:Gold and the parent account "Commodity" is of type income,
then capital gains and loses due to changes in the price of gold will be
coming from an income account, which makes a lot of sense.

Daniel.