Company File Name

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 28 11:42:49 EDT 2008

Hi,

Quoting Tony Nelson <tonyn at openlearning.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for the ultra basic question, but I'm confused by my companies
> GnuCash file name, and also the large number of log files in my GnuCash
> directory.
>
> Does OLC.20080409170103.xac.20080628075545.xac seem like a
> legitimate/correct file name?

This means you started with a data file called OLC.  Then sometime
after April 9, 2008 you opened a Backup file from 2008-04-09 17:01:03
and made additional changes.  The most recent changes were made
on June 28, 2008 at 7:55:45.

> Also there are a ton of log files and .xac file in my GnuCash directory.
> Is that to be expected?

Yes.  See the FAQ.

> Oh, one other question, when I launch GnuCash from my Ubuntu application
> menu it can no longer find my company file, but if I go into my gnucash
> directory and double click the file name above it opens?

The above file is a backup file.

I suggest you copy it to a new file (OLC2?) and work from there via
File -> Open.