Recover from crash

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Mar 1 06:09:59 EST 2008

On Friday 29 Feb 2008, JT wrote:
> I am running 2.2.x on Windows. My gnucash recently crashed. Should I rename
> the data file that is intact to use going forward? Or, do I work off the
> file called [companyname]j.20080201100714.xac.20080226085329.xac ?
>
> Somehow it seems the file should be named [companyname].???
>
> Sorry I could not find the answer to this in the help file or archives.
>
> THANK YOU
>
> JST

Hi,

the filename you see is a result of GC creating backups each time you save
your data.

Basically, when you save your data, GC moves the existing file out of the way,
and appends a timestamp to the filename, then saves the revised data as a new
file, using the existing name.

It looks to me that you started with a file called [companyname]
you saved this data on 1st feb at 10:07:14, and then started to use the backup
file as your working file.

On 26th Feb at 08:53:29, you again saved the data file, which produced
the "double-backup" filename you see here.  That will have all the
transactions in it prior to whatever you did in your edits on 26th Feb.

Personally, I would use the latest dated backup, rename to [companyname].xac
and look carefully to see what was lost in the crash and re-enter the data as
required... (you may get some mileage out of the "Log Replay" option)

HTH,
Maf.