Reinstall Fink?

Tim Greening-Jackson tim at shellike.com
Mon Mar 3 03:46:06 EST 2008

ThreeDot wrote:
> After upgrading to OS X 10.5 last fall I installed MacPorts so that I could
> build and manage GnuCash. I never got it running and eventually switched
> over to Fink. I recently removed MacPorts and now Fink no longer runs. Is
> there a cross dependancy that I may have deleted when uninstalling MacPorts?
> I tried to reinstall Fink but it insists that I delete /sw or install in
> /sw2.

I've had exactly the same problem.

The /sw tree is all your old stuff that you built under fink. I removed
it and everything worked fine, although there was a certain amount of
stuff which needed to be rebuilt via fink as I found out when obscure,
non-standard applications like LaTeX stopped working[1].

Once I got fink fixed, I found I couldn't get Gnucash installed under
'port' --- only 'fink', nor could I get Gnucash 1.x running: every time
I tried to run it I kept getting a message about a missing library.
(Sorry to be vague, but the problem is now fixed so I don't have the
details to hand).

You might need fink to be able to access the "unstable tree"
(http://www.finkproject.org/faq/usage-fink.php). So you might need to do a:

$ sudo fink configure

and follow the instructions.

You then need to do

$ sudo fink selfupdate

When that's done you need to

$ sudo fink install gnucash2

This took ages (literally overnight on an iMac G5)

You may also find at this stage that one of your Gtk libraries (can't
remember which one) will need to be rebuilt, but fink handled it
wonderfully.

Hope this helps. As it's slightly off-topic E-mail me directly if you
don't get anywhere.

Tim.

[1] Actually it was much more recherche than that, but I won't bore you.