Migrate to QuickBooks

The Wassermans dwass at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 7 23:49:54 EST 2008

This little episode is driving me bonkers . . .

Ultimately I am trying to re-create my existing quicken chart of
accounts in GnuCash 2.2.4.  (I want to avoid manual input of Accounts
and Categories which have taken 8 years to build in Quicken.)

* These days Quicken will not provide a facility to export their/(my!)
data.  Smart buggers that they are.
* But I can generate a report and save it as an Excel file.
* From there I was expecting to create a GnuCash acceptable QIF file
* So I want to see what QIF formatted data will be needed to
create/import my Chart of Accounts into GC
* Well I found that GC will export its Chart of Accounts.  I accepted
the GC suggested Chart of Accounts when I first fired it up.
* And I was pointed to the utility gnucastoqif (not gnucas2qif by the way)
* Having run the whole above procedure this is what I got:

!Type:Cat
!Option:AutoSwitch
!Account
!Clear:AutoSwitch
!Option:AutoSwitch

What does it mean?
Has someone got a better idea for me to accomplish my intended
conversion to GnuCash.

Once I have my chart of accounts set up I am confident of being able to
transfer the accounts history using qif files I can create from each
account in the by then established chart of accounts.

Replacing Quicken is going to be critical to my total conversion to Ubuntu.

Helppp please . . . .

Dave W