Linux = Windows dictionary?

Brian Amos brian at amosfamily.net
Mon Mar 10 09:00:44 EDT 2008

> Thank you David,
>
> mounted ?   samba share?
>
> As I struggle to become a dedicated Linux user, I find the most
> intimidating aspect is understanding the new language/jargon.  I Googled
> for a dictionary but was unable to find a simple format that will allow
> me to see a translation to/from Windows terminology.  Can you point me
> to a place where I can simply look up a term and see something like:
> Mount = (whatever)?
>
> Dave W

Dave,

Perhaps one of the most complete linux references is the linux documentation
project www.tldp.org.  It has howto's, gudes, facs, and man pages for just
about anything you would want to do with linux.  I recommend browsing
through the howto's.  There are many great articles that will help you get
your feet wet.  It may take a little time to get used to all the jargon, but
don't get discouraged, once you have the basics down everything else will
come much quicker.

Brian.

PS.  you might find the dos/windows to Linux
HOWTO<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html>helpful