v2.2.4 QIF import & reports

Stuart Blood stuart.blood at valley.net
Mon Mar 10 12:35:56 EDT 2008

At 06:10 PM 3/9/2008, Charles Day wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Stuart Blood
><<mailto:stuart.blood at valley.net>stuart.blood at valley.net> wrote:
>At 08:07 PM 3/8/2008, Charles Day wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Stuart Blood
> ><<mailto:stuart.blood at valley.net>stuart.blood at valley.net> wrote:
> >
> >(1) I've downloaded transactions from my credit card company.  That
> >generated a file called Activity.qif.  I confirmed that the file was
> >ok by importing the transactions to Quicken 2005.  However, when I
> >"import" to GnuCash, I get a message that, "QIF file load failed:
> >File does not appear to be a QIF file."
> >

> >GnuCash expects the first non-blank line of your QIF file to start
> >with an exclamation point. Can you show us the first few lines of
> >your file, without giving away any personal data? That's the first
> >step. If that's not it, then I believe that there is a line
> >somewhere else in your file that starts with an exclamation point,
> >and that GnuCash doesn't understand the rest of that line. So that's
> >what we'd need to find. But let's start with the first few lines of
> >your QIF file.
>

>I've realized that I can import QFX files, which seems to have solved
>my problem.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll save it in case I run into the
>QIF problem again.
>

>You could still help us out by working through the QIF problem, as
>other users are sure to see the same problem in the future. If
>there's a problem with GnuCash's importer, I'd like to identify and
>fix it. If Quicken accepts it, then GnuCash probably could too.
>Could you post the first few lines of your QIF file, and any other
>lines beginning with an exclamation point?

I'll be happy to help if I can.

If I use the QIF file as I've downloaded it from my credit card
company, I get the message that I mentioned above.  If I edit the
file, prepending '!' on the first none-blank line, the operation
proceeds.  However, the dialog titled "Match QIF accounts with
GnuCash Accounts" is unpopulated.  If I click forward, the next
dialog is also unpopulated.

If instead, I select File | Import | Import QFX/OFX, I see that the
file selection dialog offers me both QIF and QFX files to choose
from.  If I select the unedited or edited QIF file, I get an
unpopulated "Generic import transaction matcher", but no error
message.  I don't know if that's useful info.

Here are the first few lines of the uneditted QIF file.  (Note that
the first two lines are blank.)

C*
D02/11/2008
NN/A