[Fink-beginners] Strange behavior with Leopard, Spaces and Gnucash

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 11 03:03:11 EDT 2008

David T. wrote:
> I have an Intel Mac running Leopard 10.5.2. This version of OS X includes
> 'Spaces', a multiple desktop utility that I really enjoy. For some reason,
> though, when I am running Gnucash in an X11 window on one desktop, that desktop
> keeps popping itself up, even when I am not using the hot keys (CTRL+number
> keys) or moving the cursor to a screen boundary. It's almost as if Gnucash or
> X11 is sending ghost keystrokes or window actions that grab focus.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this? It can be remarkably annoying.

X11 on Leopard has quite a few bugs. Some of them, including several
problems of interaction with Spaces, have been fixed with the 10.5.2
update, and some more have been fixed in the updates that are
distributed on the macosforge xquartz site
<http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/Releases>

If you are running 10.5.2, you should download and install the 2.1.4
update from that site. If the problem persists, I would suggest to look
through the bug reports at
<http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/report> and see if yours is
described there (for example
<http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/ticket/2> ?)

If you think your bug is new, then it would be best to discuss it on the
Apple x11-users mailing list
<http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/x11-users>
I have only seen one passing mention of problems with gnucash there:
<http://lists.apple.com/archives/X11-users/2008/Feb/msg00165.html>

--
Martin