Accounting periods problem

John Griessen john_g at cibolo.com
Tue Mar 11 12:05:02 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Wahur <vahur.lokk at gmail.com> writes:

>> When I enter a bill in Gnucash, I post it to 'Issue date'. Right or wrong,
>> but currently it seems to me its the only way.
>> When I do that, many of my bills get accounted in a wrong month, because
>> they are issued during the next month.

> a) the issue date == period or
> b) you should back-date the transaction so that the 'post date'
>    implies the period.

I backdate and postdate invoices or bills so they fit in the proper accounting period.
If you also wanted to search for issue dates, or creation dates perhaps you could start a naming
convention so you invoice numbers include the date.  That can solve many riddles
and avoid some trouble for a little extra work.

John Griessen