yet another QIF import problem

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Mar 14 17:19:50 EDT 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 1:26:16 pm Charles Day wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
>
> >I tried building 2.2.4 from sources on a PCLinuxOS box, but after
> > 300+ megabytes of ./configure, fail, install a new dependency,
> > ./configure,
> > fail, install a new dependency, ./configure, fail, install a new
> > dependency,
> > etc ad nauseum, I gave it up.
> >

> There have been so many fixes to the QIF importer since 2.2.1 that I've lost
> count. Definitely upgrade to 2.2.4 before importing all your data! Others
> here can probably help you with the compiling issues.

I don't have Gnome, and it appears that building Gnucash from sources requires
a giant glob o Gnome. I wasn't exaggerating about quitting after downloading
nearly 300 megs of new packages and still not having enough. ./configure
fails as soon as it hits a missing dependency, so I have to keep
re-running ./configure, wait for it to complain about one more missing
dependency, and install the missing bits one at a time. It's like one of
those carnival games where you keep missing by just a little bit, so you keep
trying, and then you spend all your money and go crying home. If I wanted
Gnome I would have already have Gnome. I'll wait until 2.4 hits some distro
repos.

> It's a 70k file, and here is a snippet. From what I've read everything looks
> > correct, but obviously I'm missing something:
> >

> The small sample that you have shown here looks correct, and imports
> perfectly into 2.2.4. So either 2.2.4 has fixed the problem, or the trouble
> lies elsewhere within that 70k file.

I took another look and found some date fields with text strings, like this:

NTaxes:Property tax
DTaxes:Property tax
^

It did that to all of the catgories, and there are a lot of them. If I can
cobble up a regexp that works I'll get rid of those and see what happens.

Does anyone know if a modern, open, standardized accounting/finances file
format is on the horizon? Migration between accounting and finance programs
is always hellish.

thanks,
Carla

--