yet another QIF import problem

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:49:16 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> On Friday 14 March 2008 1:26:16 pm Charles Day wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > >I tried building 2.2.4 from sources on a PCLinuxOS box, but after
> > > 300+ megabytes of ./configure, fail, install a new dependency,
> > > ./configure,
> > > fail, install a new dependency, ./configure, fail, install a new
> > > dependency,
> > > etc ad nauseum, I gave it up.
> > >

> > There have been so many fixes to the QIF importer since 2.2.1 that I've
> lost
> > count. Definitely upgrade to 2.2.4 before importing all your data!
> Others
> > here can probably help you with the compiling issues.
>
> I don't have Gnome, and it appears that building Gnucash from sources
> requires
> a giant glob o Gnome. I wasn't exaggerating about quitting after
> downloading
> nearly 300 megs of new packages and still not having enough. ./configure
> fails as soon as it hits a missing dependency, so I have to keep
> re-running ./configure, wait for it to complain about one more missing
> dependency, and install the missing bits one at a time. It's like one of
> those carnival games where you keep missing by just a little bit, so you
> keep
> trying, and then you spend all your money and go crying home. If I wanted
> Gnome I would have already have Gnome. I'll wait until 2.4 hits some
> distro
> repos.
>

> > It's a 70k file, and here is a snippet. From what I've read everything
> looks
> > > correct, but obviously I'm missing something:
> > >

> > The small sample that you have shown here looks correct, and imports
> > perfectly into 2.2.4. So either 2.2.4 has fixed the problem, or the
> trouble
> > lies elsewhere within that 70k file.
> >

> I took another look and found some date fields with text strings, like
> this:
>
> NTaxes:Property tax
> DTaxes:Property tax
> ^
>
> It did that to all of the catgories, and there are a lot of them. If I can
> cobble up a regexp that works I'll get rid of those and see what happens.

What you have shown here is part of a QIF category list, so the "D" line in
this case is not supposed to be a date, but rather a description. So this
looks fine to me the way it is.

Can you search for any parentheses in your QIF file? I just want verify that
Moneydance has been consistent in using a dash for negative numbers. Perhaps
there is a negative number *somewhere* in your file that uses parentheses.

You could check with this command:
  grep '^T.*(' filename.qif

Thanks,
Charles

Does anyone know if a modern, open, standardized accounting/finances file