yet another QIF import problem

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:49:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> On Friday 14 March 2008 2:49:16 pm Charles Day wrote:
> > >
> > > NTaxes:Property tax
> > > DTaxes:Property tax
> > > ^
> > >
> > > It did that to all of the catgories, and there are a lot of them. If I
> can
> > > cobble up a regexp that works I'll get rid of those and see what
> happens.
> > >

> > What you have shown here is part of a QIF category list, so the "D" line
> in
> > this case is not supposed to be a date, but rather a description. So
> this
> > looks fine to me the way it is.
> >

> Oh well, then, I better leave them alone!
>
> > Can you search for any parentheses in your QIF file? I just want verify
> that
> > Moneydance has been consistent in using a dash for negative numbers.
> Perhaps
> > there is a negative number *somewhere* in your file that uses
> parentheses.
> >
> > You could check with this command:
> >   grep '^T.*(' filename.qif
>
> Done. No parentheses.

Great. So we can definitely rule that out.

I tried exporting just the last month's activities, and GnuCash had no
> problem
> importing the file. So apparently there's something in the big QIF export
> that isn't right. Spose I can break it down into smaller pieces and see
> what
> happens. Moneydance won't do separate exports by account, but you can
> choose
> smaller date ranges.

When you find a smaller QIF file that won't import, please let us know.
Maybe we can isolate the problem. There have been a number of Moneydance
users that have had trouble importing, and it seems like the problem (other
than the known parentheses thing) never really gets clearly defined for us,
so it's hard to fix.

Cheers,
Charles

It looks really good, the last time I tried Gnucash it wasn't so pretty.