yet another QIF import problem

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Mar 16 00:05:37 EDT 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 8:49:45 pm Charles Day wrote:
> >I tried exporting just the last month's activities, and GnuCash had no
> > problem
> > importing the file. So apparently there's something in the big QIF export
> > that isn't right. Spose I can break it down into smaller pieces and see
> > what
> > happens. Moneydance won't do separate exports by account, but you can
> > choose
> > smaller date ranges.
> >

> When you find a smaller QIF file that won't import, please let us know.
> Maybe we can isolate the problem. There have been a number of Moneydance
> users that have had trouble importing, and it seems like the problem (other
> than the known parentheses thing) never really gets clearly defined for us,
> so it's hard to fix.

Allrightythen! I broke the QIF file into three smaller chunks. GnuCash handled
them fine, all at once. I thought something had gone wrong again when it
opened to a blank window, but then 'File -> New accounts page' brought it all
back. Which is a good thing for all of us, because I might have come to your
house in the middle of the night and awakened you with weeping.

The import went beautifully, I haven't found any errors yet. I really like not
having to create a set of accounts first, or almost as bad, go through them
one at a time like some finance programs make you do. Once I gave it
digestible QIF files it went quickly.

Thanks for helping!

Carla

--