duplicated entries upon import

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 12:41:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:30 PM, The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> I am experiencing some difficulty with my qif imports in GC 2.2.4.  My
> total import will require about a dozen qif files which I am pretty sure
> are okay.

I would strongly suggest that you try importing the files together. The
druid allows this via the "Load another file" button, or I believe you could
just combine the files with a text editor. This will allow the importer to
automatically match up any account transfers in which one half of the
transfer is in one file, and the other half in another file.

I think part of the problem might be that in allocating/confirming an
> account name during the import process, the 'L' line in the .qif must be
> absolutely matched.  Even the case must be exactly the same.  Is that
> correct?

You will certainly have less problems if the 'L' lines are consistent with
each other, certainly, and the case definitely matters. By using consistent
'L' lines and by importing multiple files at once, the importer should
automatically avoid creating duplicate account transfers. Otherwise, you
have to use the "match duplicates" dialog to get rid of them manually.

> I have been getting a bit confused when the wizard gets to the bit about
> checking for duplications.

On the left side you'll see newly imported transactions. When you click on
each one, on the right you'll see one or more transactions existing prior to
import that might be duplicated by the new transaction on the left. If you
place a check mark next to any of the transactions on the right, then the
new transaction won't get imported.

Any pointers will be gratefully received.  (I've been battling for many
> an hour to get it right.)

If you want to see more detailed help as you go along in the importer, pick
Edit->Preferences on the main menu, then look at the "Online Banking"
section and check the "Show documentation pages" option.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Charles

Dave W