Importing Investment Portfolio qif

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:48:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM, The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> I have run a trial import of a qif file I created from Quicken data.  I
> get error messages re 'Action' (i.e. qif 'N') in my creation.  And then
> the whole thing fails.
>
> A few questions please:
> 1. Can you please point me to where I can find a listing of the
> correct/optimum qif data GnuCash can use.

I'm afraid that data only seems to exist in the Scheme code itself and in
the heads of a few developers and users. And even that is incomplete. I have
seen a few bits of documentation on the QIF file format, including the GnuCash
writeup<http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/src/import-export/qif-import/file-format.txt>(last
updated seven years ago!!), but none adequately addresses investments.

2. My qif (below) is obviously wrong.  Does it need major surgery?

I think the answer is "no". I think that with a little explanation, all you
may need to change is the 'N' lines on the transactions below. What software
produced this "BoughtX" transaction, by the way? Am I recalling correctly
that you are producing these transactions on your own, from QuickBooks
reports?

For example, GnuCash expects "BuyX" rather than "BoughtX". So just
search/replace them. It's weird that there is no grand total for these
transactions (a "T" line) but they should still import OK.

What do the transactions with "Added" mean? I suspect that GnuCash expects
"ShrsIn". (I notice that in Quicken 2006, the GUI says "Added" but Quicken
exports it as "ShrsIn".) Likewise, "Removed" would be "ShrsOut".

If you make a list of each rejected 'N' line, I'll try to tell you the
correct search/replace to use.

3. Will it be okay to import Investment data along will other data in
> the import function or should I first run my accounts and then
> investments separately?

I would run it all at once to avoid inadvertently creating duplicate
transfers between accounts.

At least you have managed to convert a few Aussie bucks into shares. I seem
to spend all mine on Tim Tams and Bindi wine. :)

Cheers,
Charles

This is an excerpt of my (failed) qif: