Importing Investment Portfolio qif

The Wassermans dwass at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 17 19:21:04 EDT 2008

Charles Day wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM, The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au
> <mailto:dwass at optusnet.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     I have run a trial import of a qif file I created from Quicken
>     data.  I
>     get error messages re 'Action' (i.e. qif 'N') in my creation.  And
>     then
>     the whole thing fails.
>
>     A few questions please:
>     1. Can you please point me to where I can find a listing of the
>     correct/optimum qif data GnuCash can use.
>

> I'm afraid that data only seems to exist in the Scheme code itself and
> in the heads of a few developers and users. And even that is
> incomplete. I have seen a few bits of documentation on the QIF file
> format, including the GnuCash writeup
> <http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/src/import-export/qif-import/file-format.txt>
> (last updated seven years ago!!), but none adequately addresses
> investments.
>
>     2. My qif (below) is obviously wrong.  Does it need major surgery?
>

> I think the answer is "no". I think that with a little explanation,
> all you may need to change is the 'N' lines on the transactions below.
> What software produced this "BoughtX" transaction, by the way? Am I
> recalling correctly that you are producing these transactions on your
> own, from QuickBooks reports?
"BoughtX" comes from Quicken(2008).  Yes, that's me.  I am running
Quicken reports into Excel.  From there I use a utility called "xl2qif"
(available on line).It works well.  From there I manually edit the qif.
I am happy to talk any Quicken exporters through the process I use.

> For example, GnuCash expects "BuyX" rather than "BoughtX". So just
> search/replace them. It's weird that there is no grand total for these
> transactions (a "T" line) but they should still import OK.
"BuyX" makes sense.  I'll investigate the apparent "T" line anomaly.
Might just be an oversight on my part.

> What do the transactions with "Added" mean? I suspect that GnuCash
> expects "ShrsIn". (I notice that in Quicken 2006, the GUI says "Added"
> but Quicken exports it as "ShrsIn".) Likewise, "Removed" would be
> "ShrsOut".
"Added" and "Removed" are a result of shares I transferred out of
another portfolio.  The counter entries will be shown there.  But,
again, "shrsIn" and "ShrsOut" probably will work.

> If you make a list of each rejected 'N' line, I'll try to tell you the
> correct search/replace to use.
Good! Here's the Quicken list: See attached .doc file.

>     3. Will it be okay to import Investment data along will other data in
>     the import function or should I first run my accounts and then
>     investments separately?
>

> I would run it all at once to avoid inadvertently creating duplicate
> transfers between accounts.
>
> At least you have managed to convert a few Aussie bucks into shares. I
> seem to spend all mine on Tim Tams and Bindi wine. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

Thank you so much for your help Charles.  This has been a long haul for
me but I am determined to make it work.  And to escape the clutches of
Quicken and indeed Windows.  Soon as I am happy with GnuCash I am going
to Ubuntu.  Enjoy your Tim Tams.  Not sure I have ever come across Bindi
wine.  But if it's red I drink it happily!