Importing Investment Portfolio qif

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:12:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM, The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>  Er, Charles,  The qif Importer is complaining again
>
> I found a couple more "N"'s not on the list;-
> CGLongX (= Long term capital Gain Distribution . . .)
> DivUF     (= Unfranked Dividend)
>
> Please.

CGLongX is correct as is.

I have never seen Quicken-generated QIF file including unfranked dividends,
so I don't know what the correct 'N' line would be. And even if I knew, the
importer doesn't know anything about franked vs. unfranked dividends anyway.
Certainly "DivUF" is not going to work, even if it is correct, because the
GnuCash importer doesn't support it. Worst case, you can import a dividend
by using the more generic "Div". But the "unfranked" distinction would be
lost, and after import you would have to separate franked dividends from
unfranked dividends manually. Or, if you want try being tricky, change every
"DivUF" to some obscure 'N'-line value that you probably won't be using,
like "cgmid" (mid-term capital gains). This will import all the unfranked
dividends into a "Cap. gain (mid)" account, which you can rename "Unfranked"
(or whatever pleases) after import.

If you know anyone that uses Quicken and can generate a QIF with franked and
unfranked dividends, I'd be happy to take a look and try to enhance the
GnuCash QIF importer to support them. I have only used the US version of
Quicken, which knows nothing about franked vs. unfranked.

-Charles