Easiest way to Gnucash 2.x on a mac?

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Fri Mar 21 12:39:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

My babysitting co-op has started using GnuCash to track babysitting
points.  (We used to do double-entry by hand!)

Now the first secretary to own a Mac is coming up on her term, and
I need to help her with the installation process.  I'm looking at
the Wiki page: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation

Based on the discussion there, it looks like the best thing is to
recommend to her that she use MacPorts, discussed at:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/MacPortsDetail

Before I try to walk someone through the installation process who
has trouble with the concept "Make a separate folder to put the
data file in" I'd like to ask the list if this is the easiest and most
up-to-date path to getting GnuCash 2.x running on a macintosh.

Also, on a macintosh is there a way to associate the GnuCash program
with a file type, so that double-clicking on the .gnc file will bring
up GnuCash without having to open a terminal window and type it?

(I'm a linux user myself, but I did test out the windows installation
before moving the co-op over to a computerized method of tracking
points.)

Thanks!
--Beth
Beth Leonard